Friday, January 9, 2009

The Gettridges' Response

When I reached Mr. Gettridge he was working on a job, at a friend's house in the Garden District. I hope I'm that able when I'm eighty, is all I can say, although I have a feeling that sitting at my desk typing all day long won't have the same physical impact as working mixing plaster and construciton. At any rate, Mr. G said "it was fine," which is a big complement coming from a humble man. Mrs. Gettridge remembered us, but not that she had been filmed. She is even more humble. There's a truism in journalism about not doing stories about people who don't want to be filmed, which I had many reasons to recall while I was shooting this film. But theres something different about the people who don't get their jollies from dreams of tv stardom. And this family showed why.

from Gale, the eldest daughter: "My family's story mirrors so many in Louisiana after Katrina. Tje tears and the struggle to maintain Godly life is shared by all as we continue to care for our parents. We pray the documentary will be a blessing to those still wanting to return but encourage others in America to contact Washington to hold them accountable, and to advise them that New Orleanians are still in need of funds to rebuild our neighborhoods and hospitals.

No comments: